What are silicones?
Silicones are a popular choice for professionals in various industries due to their unique properties that make them ideal for flexible sealing applications. These synthetic polymers have a unique chemical structure that makes them extremely versatile, durable and resistant to harsh conditions.
The Strengths of Silicones
- Flexibility: Silicones always preserve their flexibility, making them ideal for applications that require a flexible seal.
- Weather and UV resistance: Silicones have good resistance to bad weather and UV, making them ideal for outdoor and marine applications.
The Weaknesses of Silicones
- Less binding: Silicones have less binding capacity than other adhesives, so they are not recommended for gluing materials.
- Not paintable: Silicones are often not paintable, making them not suitable for applications where the bond will be visible and aesthetic is important.
- Only usable on dry surfaces: Silicones are only usable on dry surfaces, making them not suitable for applications where moisture is present.